Biography as documented by G.Venu in his Memoirs – Into The World of Kutiyattam With The Legendary Ammannur Madhava Chakyar, published by Natanakairali – Research and Performing Centre for Traditional Arts
Guru Ammannur Madhava Chakyar was born into the Ammannnur Chakyar family to Sreedevi Illodamma and Vellarapilli Madassi Manakkal Parameswaran Nambutiri on 13th May 1917. He passed away on 1st July, 2008. His wife Parukkutty Nangiaramma survives him.
Training, Gurus and first performances
Ammannur Madhava Chakyar was initiated into Kutiyattam at the age of 7 and trained rigorously under his two uncles Ammannur Chachu Chakyar, Ammannur Valiya Madhava Chakyar and also Kitangur Rama Chakyar.
His arangettam(debut performance) was at the age of 11 at the Bhagavathi temple at Thirumandham Kunnu performing the role of Sutradhara in Balacharitam.
At the age of 14, he gave his first performance at the Vadakkumnathan Temple in Trichur performing as Sree Rama in Balivadham.
At the age of 16, He had his debut in Prabandha Koothu with the ritual Kuduma vakkal at the Putiya Trikkovil, Chendamangalam.
After completing his basic training in the traditional style under his masters, Ammannur Madhava Chakyar went for higher training in Abhinaya and Natyashastra under Bhagavathar Kunjunni Thampuran at the acting laboratory at the Kodungallor Royal family.
He also studied Sanskrit language under Vidushi Kochikavu Tampuratty and Vivan Manthitta Nambuthiri.
Bali – Balivadham
Ravana – Thoranayudham, Asokavanikankam, Hanumaddutam, Jatayuvadham
Suta, Jatayu – Jatayuvadham
Surpanakha – SurpanakhangamHanuman – Thoranayudham, Ankuliyankam
Dhananjayan – Subhadra Dhananjayam
Bhima, Vidyadhara – Kalyanasaugandhikam
Kapali – Mattavilasam
Vidushaka – Subhadra Dhananjayam, Tapatisamvaranam
Naganandam and all important Prabandha-s in Koothu
Attaprakaram-s – acting manuals written for performance(unpublished)
- Ascharyachudamani -Parnshalankam, Mayasitankam, Ezhamankam
- Abhisheka Natakam – Hanumaddutam, Samudrataranam
- Subhandra Dhananjayam – Act 2
- Nangiar Koothu – Sree Krishna Charitam(revised version)
- Kulapati – lifelong at Ammannur Chachu Chakyar Smaraka Gurukulam which he co-founded with G.Venu.
- Chief Resource person – life long at Natanakairali – Research and Performing Centre for Traditional Arts, Irinjalakuda
- Visiting Guru at Margi Kutiyattam Vidyalayam, Tiruvananthapuram – 1981-88
- Visiting Professor, Kerala Kalamandalam, Cheruthuruthy – 1981-82
Performance tours abroad
The Netherlands(1987 )
- Moozhikulam Kochukuttan Chakyar
- Ammannur Kuttam Chakyar
- Usha Nangiar
- Margi Madhu
- Ammannur Rajaneesh Chakyar
- Sooraj Nambiar
- Pothiyil Renjith Chakyar
- Aparna Nangiar
- Margi Raman
- Margi Sajeev Narayanan
- Potiyil Narayanan
- Nirmala paniker
- Tomoe Tara Irino
- Rathy Nangiar
- Padmabhushan from Government of India – 2002
- P.S.John Endowment Award from Ernakulam Press Club – 2002
- Degree of Doctor of Letters from Kannur University – 2002
- Citation of UNESCO recognising Kutiyattam – 2001
- ‘Pattum Valayum’ from Keli and Prithvi Theatre, Mumbai – 1998
- Peelithirumudi Award from Guruvayur temple – 1997
- Fellowship from Sangeet Natak Akademi – 1996
- ‘Veera Sringhala’ from The International Centre for Kutiyattam, Thripunithura – 1994
- Sree Guruvayoorappan Samman from Guruvayur Temple – 1992
- ‘Kalidas Samman from Govt. of Madhya Pradesh – 1992
- Fellowship from Kerala Kalamandalam – 1988
- ‘Natya Kala Nidhi’ title from Cochin Devaswam Board – 1987
- Padmashree from Govt. of India – 1982
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award – 1979
Film on Ammannur: PAKARNNATTAM – AMMANNUR THE ACTOR
1995, 75 Mins
Documentary on Ammanur Madhava Chakyar, the legendary Koodiyattam actor
M R Rajan, C S Venkiteswaran